Thursday, November 25, 2010

Week 14: Muddy- Thin Client Computing

Until this weeks lectures, I was unaware of thin client computing. I didn't understand how it worked or why anyone would want to use it. But I know see how it can save time and money. But what is thin client computing you may be asking.

The easiest way to begin is to explain what "think client" computing is. Most of us use a think client within our homes and businesses. This is a regular PC or MAC computer with a powerful CPU, RAM, NIC, Storage, software, etc. I use these daily at work and home. Your laptop is also a think client. This may also be referred to as "fat" or "heavy" computing. Now that you understand the thick client, I believe it is much easier to understand what a thin client is. A thin client utilizes a central terminal. It has a modest CPU and RAM, but relies mostly on the centralized CPU and RAM. Processing and storage occurs elsewhere. For example, within an office environment everyone will have a screen and a keyboard as normal but the system does not rely on itself as a normal computer operates. All information is sent back to the central terminal.
So what advantages does this have?

  • More efficient use of resources
  • Initial setup maybe for expensive, but over the long run money is saved
  • If an individual thin client fails, nothing is lost
  • Hardware repairs much faster
  • Linked clones
  • Allocating hardware and storage as users need
I currently work for a logistics company that uses separate desktop computers for each person and a main server room. I have had my computer fail which left me without a computer for a day. Luckily I saved most of my information on the global drive so I was able to access my information on the new computer, but with the thin client system I would have avoided the down time. Each user has their own OS system and applications but they can be accessed on any thin client within this terminal. 

I believe the thick client computing will be obsolete in the future for businesses. The cost of replacing a desktop computing and upgrading every so ofter gets very expensive. ZDnet.com has a great article on the way of the thin client and how it is beneficial. Could thin clients possibly work on our homes as well? Technology has come such a long way that I would not doubt one day being able to access everything on a thin client at home as well. 

4 comments:

  1. does the part made available in case it spoil? if yes how affordable? what of the expert engineers are they available

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thin client hardly get spoil cos' its light the can easily spoil it and it hard bn factored into the power supply which uses a dc technology rather than the regular Ac

      Delete
  2. please, what is the cost of the thin client and the server?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's the best time to make some plans for the future and It's time to be happy. I've read this post .




    Windows Thin Client & Zero Clients

    ReplyDelete