Friday, November 12, 2010

Extra Credit- Second Life

I have not had any experience with Second Life and thought it would be a good experience online. I downloaded all of the files needed and began at Orientation Island. At first, I was very confused by what to do. I had to learn the controls and how to operate the character. I changed my appearance and learned different expressions and body languages. Right after my orientation, I jumped into things and soon learned that you needed money to buy things from the mall and other stores. It took me a while to find other people within Second Life. I made a few mistakes by teleporting to random places which ended up being peoples private homes. But I soon got the hang of it.

I have visited many places but some of my favorites are New York City, Off The Wall, and NCI Kuula. I made friends with many people that taught me how things work within Second Life. Janey explained things very well as not to look at this as a video game having to accomplish things but as every day life. She explained that you have the options to rent or own your land. Sometimes it can be easier to rent so you don't owe as much. Of course if you don't pay, you get evicted or lose your land. I found a neat spot to earn money. The longer I sat at the spot the more money I earned. People want you to visit their places. You can build island, homes, parks, or anything else. I met a few friends who were kind enough to give me money, tea, and clothing. Check out a few images from within Second Life of my character:



I was able to locate a dance club within NY and show them a few moves! I had alot of fun meeting new people and discussing what was going on around the world. I was very surprised to find out this world works much like the real world. You can find many friends within Second Life. I suggest you try it out! You don't have to be yourself. You can be anyone you want to be!!


No comments:

Post a Comment