Saturday, November 6, 2010

Database Project: Access 2003

We have been reviewing Microsoft Access in class for the past few weeks and I find the database program very easy to navigate. Throughout the course of completing my project, I did hit a few snags but nothing that I couldn't over come. I have taken Access classes in the past so I remember much of the information. Unfortunately, I only have Apple's so I had to use my mothers computer which has Access 2003. I would say that the 2007 version is much improved!! When auto numbering my MemberID's. I found that when adding in a new form the auto numbers would randomly generate in large negative numbers. I was unable to figure out why it was doing this. It only did it for two forms but the others were correct! I can see why this knowledge would be beneficial within the work place. Access saves alot of time typing when you can just import tables you have already created. You can run reports, queries, or add more information. It is a great way to navigate through information.

I work for a logistics company and we recently converted to a new program to manage our information. The old program was created and used through Access. It was very advanced but we began losing information. We have millions of "loads" which had to be archived into another system. This was the largest limitation when using Access. Our new system works through the Internet, so we are able to have an unlimited amount of information. But over all, as I previously stated I believe Access is a great system with not to many faults. There is a great deal of information over the Internet and books available on how to navigate through Access 2007. Microsoft provides a great deal of helpful information online. Here are top ten reasons why Microsoft suggest using Access with Excel as well!












So take a risk and give Access a shot. And remember if you have the 2007 version available it is much improved compared to the 2003!

No comments:

Post a Comment