Sunday, November 21, 2010

Week 13: Muddy- Protecting Our Internet Selves

Most of us have been affected my a computer virus. Unfortunately, my computer was not usable after it became infected and it was must easier getting a new computer. Before viewing this weeks lectures, I didn't give much thought to the possibility of getting another virus on my computer. I have a MAC for both my laptop and home computer and would like to think these are not susceptible to viruses, but I am wrong!

Many of us are daily users of Facebook, but do not think of the affects it could have on our computers and also our lives. We have Dell's at work and in my down time, I used to play Farmville. Shortly after my farm began to grow, my computer crashed. This followed on many others around the office, we soon realized that viruses were traveling to our computers through Farmville. Farmville has a statement out stating that they believe some trojans may have hidden behind their links and found their way into out computers, but it hasn't been proven.

We not only have to worry about computer viruses but other people invading our privacy and retrieving valuable information from us. Many people create fake facebooks to become friends with others only to access their information. This is referred to as "Information theft." Stanford has a good website explaining computer crimes and how it may affect you. PCMAG.com has a great slide show to demonstrate how to protect yourself on Facebook, such as:


  • Only accept friend request with people you know
  • Customize your profile view to friends only
  • Make sure your photos are "friends only"
  • Hide your information from Google and other search sites

All of this is outlined within the slideshow and show you how to change your Facebook. 

When I was a child, I ran around outside with friends getting dirty. Now this generation is growing up on computers and video games. We need to make sure we teach them how to protect their selves. There are many threats over the internet that they aren't aware of. We maybe more hesitant of online offers for free Ipods or friend request from unknown people but we must remember our children grew up with computers so they maybe more trusting. Childonlineprotection.net offers a great article on the dangers of the internet to a child and how to protect your own. 

Make sure you protect yourself and your family from online invasion! There are many helpful sites that offer tips. 


No comments:

Post a Comment