Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Week 2: Clear- Motherboards

When first viewing the online lectures provided by our professor, I didn't understand how a computer worked. I now realize that our computers have an endless number our working parts. Within my household, we have 3 computers. Even though I use computers on a daily basis for work, school and fun, I never stopped to think about how my laptop or desktop actually work.

The motherboard is the "main circuit board." This is where every component can be mounted. We own all Apple computers within our home, so the motherboard is more commonly referred to as a "logic board." Everything that is essential to our computers are mounted on the motherboard. If you would like to add more memory to your computer or possibly wireless internet, this is all done through the motherboard and a few other key parts within the mother board. Since the invention of the computer, motherboards are becoming increasingly faster. Technology advances every year so the motherboards must be able to support more functions. There are hundreds of sites that offer advice on whether to upgrade your old motherboard or advance to a new one. They also provide tips on how to install upgrades. I found Motherboards.org very helpful and even thought about ways to improve my home computers. Here is a good diagram with the internal workings of a motherboard:


I grew up in a generation where computers were just becoming accessible to the public. We got our first home computer when I was in 3rd grade. I soon learned the ways of AOL and we have all seen how it has advanced since then. I believe younger generations will also be unfamiliar with the motherboard and the inner workings of the computer since it has always been there for them to use. Computers are much more obtainable and the prices get lower and lower everyday. I believe it is important for our children to understand technology and the options that are available.

No comments:

Post a Comment