Sunday, September 12, 2010

Week 3: Muddy- Computer Retirement?

I recently watched a lecture in which my professor explained the ways to get rid of an unwanted computer. To be honest, I have never thought of it before and just simply thought I should place in on the side of the road with the rest of the trash, but I was incorrect. There are multiple reasons as to why you would not want to simply throw away your computer. You may receive fines! I recently moved and needed to get rid of my old computer so I simply pawned it a local pawn shop. My theory was that someone would be able to use it and I would receive cash in return. Well I missed a few key things before taking it in. I should have removed all data to avoid data exposure. Luckily, none of my information has been used since the pawn 4 years ago. There are multiple ways to dispose of data on a computer whether you are donating it or not. DBAN is a great tool to use when trying to remove everything from your computer. This will ensure the protection of your personal information before getting rid of the computer. There are many uses for your old computer, whether you think it is worth it or not:
  • Charitable donation ( make sure it is a working computer and not trash)
  • Add more RAm or see other available upgrades
  • Remove all hazardous items from within and take them to proper locations
  • Sell it to someone who needs it
I found many more great ideas on Geek24.com for ways to reuse your old computer. It may takes some time and some elbow grease to get an old computer back up to standards but there are many people out there that would love to just have any computer.
I am glad that the professor reviewed this within the lecture. I think this is over looked by many people today that are not "tech-savy." I use a computer on a daily basis but did not take into account what to do with it when I needed a new one or had to dispose or it. Also keep in mind that when you purchase a computer, some companies will offer disposal of your old computers or you may be able to pay for payment right then and there for disposal of your new one in the future.

Or would you want your yard to end up looking like this??.....



Helpful Tips:
Use a cross shredder for all optical media, degauss all unusable media, or if you are unsure contact the manufacture for more details on disposal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment