Thursday, September 16, 2010

Week 4: Muddy- Software Legalities

After purchasing any new software for my computer, I usually plug in the disk and run through the setup. I breeze by the screen that is far to long for me to take time out and read while I am anxiously anticipating playing with my new software. I am sure many of you do the same thing. Until recently, I didn't realize how serious the terms that I am agreeing to are. After watching the lecture, I understood what all that was. It was called the EULA, which is contract that defines how the software can be used. EULA stands for End User License Agreement. It protects both you and company on various things. Obviously the company wants to make money off of their product and this also enables them to do that. Once you have downloaded the software, the developer has assumed that you agree to the terms.

Most EULAS can be accessed by viewing the about section of the software. Take a look at the software on your computer and view some of the legal terms. I wasn't sure what to think at first. But I soon found out that if you break a EULA that you have agreed to the software provider can take legal action against you. So it is something to take very serious! When investigating this, I found that some software companies throw many things in their EULAS that people don't even realize they are agreeing to. For example, when installing War of Worldcraft, you agree to installing spyware on your computer as well. Take a look at the Reasonableagreement.org site that gives consumers the choice to fight back against the EULA. It makes a good point in the article stating that consumers do not have the option to negotiate the terms of these EULAS at all but simply have to agree or not use the software. All software programs have EULAS and most appear to be the same. Take a quick look at an example EULA and see for yourself how detailed they are!

So think twice before you skip through the small print when installing new software. Take the time to read the terms and agreements. But even after you read them are you likely to take the software back because of the EULA? Would you choose "I accept?"


No comments:

Post a Comment